CREATE A CALENDAR
If you’ve used Google Calendar, you are probably aware that you have your own calendar for work-related events. But did you know that you can create additional calendars to schedule and track other events? For instance, you can create a family calendar to schedule your kids’ soccer games or swim lessons. You can also create a calendar specifically for your team or department at work. Having a team calendar is a great way to track:
- who’s on vacation, or going on vacation, and for how long
- who’s out of the office on a business trip and when they’ll return
- who’s taking a class and where
With all this information tracked in one calendar, it’s then easy to:
- plan team meetings
- determine dates for team outings
- schedule who can handle projects
Create your new calendarTo create a new calendar, click the down arrow next to My calendars and select Create new calendar.
Define your calendar
On the Create New Calendar screen, provide the following information:
- Calendar Name: Provide a descriptive name for your calendar as this is what you and others will see in the My calendars section of the main calendar.
- Description: A description is optional but provides the team with some basic information about the calendar when they view the calendar on the Calendar Settings screen.
- Location: Location is also optional and is really only necessary if your calendar is made public.
- Calendar Time Zone: Select the country and time zone for your calendar.
Share your new calendar
In the next sections of the Create New Calendar screen, you’ll select who can see what level of calendar details and who can edit and manage your calendar.
Share this calendar with othersThis setting enables you to either share the calendar publicly or just within your organization. After making a selection, you can then select what viewers are allowed to see when they view the calendar. The options available are defined by your Google Apps administrator.
For our team calendar, we want everyone within our organization to be able to view the calendar’s event details but only a select group to be able to edit or add new events.
Share with specific peopleThis setting enables you to define a specific group of individuals to view, modify, or manage the calendar.
To add your team:
- Enter their email addresses one by one in the Person field (see image below).
- Define their permission settings:
- Make changes AND manage sharing: select this option if you want the individual to add or modify event, but also to manage the calendar. With ‘manage’ permissions, the individual can, for instance, add new members to the calendar or add the calendar to a Google Site page.
- Make changes to events: select this option if you want the individual to be able to add and modify events on the calendar.
- See all event details: select this option if you only want the individual to view the events, but not modify or add events.
- See only free/busy (hide details): select this option if you only want the individual to view events as ‘Busy’.
- Click Add Person.
Note: You may discover that as you enter an individual’s email address, the email address auto-completes. After selecting it, it may then appear in a list below. If this is the case, define their permission option at this point and omit step 3.
- After adding all your team members and defining their permissions, click Create Calendar.
Note: If you forget to add an individual or need add a new team member in the future, return to this section and add add them to the list following the steps above. If you need to remove an individual, simply return to this section and click the trash can icon to the right of their listing.
Use the calendarAfter creating the calendar, it should now be visible in the My calendars section of your main calendar. If it doesn’t display immediately, you may need to refresh your browser window.
Now when you create a new event, you have the option of creating it on your personal calendar or on your new team calendar.
TO COPY CONNIE CRABTREE'S SCHOOL CALENDAR:
It’s easy to display events on one or more calendars. Let’s say that you want to copy everything that Connie Crabtree has put in the SCHOOL calendar. Once she has shared that calendar with you, you can simply click on the event you want to add to any of your calendars and select COPY without having to recreate the event.
- Click on the event you want to copy.
- Click COPY TO MY CALENDAR (in blue-left side)
- Click Save.
- Another way to do it --- Open the event you want to copy or choose MORE DETAILS and see screenshot below.
Now when you view your calendar, you will see the event listed twice - once on your personal calendar and also on the Connie's calendar.